Introduction to Asana is a prerequisite for this 2-hour class, which follows the four-week curricular cycle. Continuing Asana classes begin with chanting “Om” and the invocation to Patanjali, after which the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali are briefly discussed. The Sutras are the main treatise/philosophy of yoga. Salamba sirsasana, head balance pose, adho mukha vrksasana, downward facing tree pose (handstand), pincha mayurasana, one tailed peacock pose (forearm balance), and more backbends are introduced. These poses may seem daunting, at first, but are safely and effectively learned through the careful and intelligent instruction characteristic of Iyengar yoga’s teaching methodology. Skill is attainable through regular practice. The most challenging aspect of this class is keeping the mind present for two hours.
Introduction to Asana is a prerequisite for this 2-hour class, which follows the four-week curricular cycle.
- New students: save time by completing the registration form in advance.
- Come 15 minutes early to class.
- You may sign-up for the entire semester and receive a discount, or attend on a drop-in basis.
- Wear a t-shirt and shorts or tights, be prepared to have bare feet, and come with an empty stomach.
- Please do not wear perfume or scented deodorant products. (Thank You!)
- YICU provides all necessary mats and other props for class.