This 90 minute all-level class emphasizes women’s health. Each class begins with two resting/recuperative poses, which may be individualized to address the needs of students with knee, low back, neck and shoulder pain. Stretching poses follow to lengthen the hamstrings and open the pelvis for optimizing circulation to the reproductive organs. Rigorous, but supported standing poses ensue, and then seated forward extensions, twists, backbends, or recuperatives/pranayama according to the 4-week cycle of progressive curriculum described in Experienced Beginners. Postural alignment to maintain bone health is emphasized. Students learn how to approach and adapt yoga practice to stages of the female life cycle, including menses, pregnancy, post-partum, and menopause. Poses are modified to address conditions particular to women’s health issues; such as lessening the discomfort associated with endometriosis, fibroids, and cysts. An enjoyable class, which welcomes women of all ages from teens to spring elders!!!
This class is open to women ages 13 and up.
- New students: save time by completing the registration form in advance.
- Come 15 minutes early to class.
- You may sign-up for the entire semester and receive a discount, or attend on a drop-in basis.
- Wear a t-shirt and shorts or tights, be prepared to have bare feet, and come with an empty stomach.
- Please do not wear perfume or scented deodorant products. (Thank You!)
- YICU provides all necessary mats and other props for class.